January 30, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V055000
A loss of electronic brake assist can increase the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V055
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Components SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Potential Number of Units Affected 148,055
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles. These vehicles received updated software for the Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM). This software has an error, and as a result, the vehicle’s electronic brake assist may be disabled. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 126, “Electronic Stability Control” and 135, “Light Vehicle Brake Systems.”
GM will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the EBCM, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin February 10, 2020. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020 or GMC customer service at 1-888-988-7267. GM’s number for this recall is N192268091.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for NonCompliance Recall N192268091
Brake System Malfunction Warning
These questions and answers are being provided to help GM dealers respond to inquiries from involved vehicle owners about the Safety recall identified above.
|Q1)||Which vehicles are involved?|
|A1)||Certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles.
|Q2)||What is the issue or condition?|
|A2)||Certain vehicles may fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 126, “Electronic stability control systems for light vehicles” and FMVSS 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.” While receiving service at a GM dealership for an unrelated condition, these vehicles may have received the pre-launch version of the electronic brake control module (EBCM) software intended as the remedy in NHTSA Recall 19V889. This pre-launch EBCM software contains an error. If (i) the vehicle is started remotely using the Onstar mobile app or (ii) the driver enters the vehicle and waits five or more minutes before starting the vehicle using the ignition, this software error can, in rare cases, disable the vehicle’s electronic brake assist and illuminate the ESC, ABS and BRAKE telltales.
|Q3)||What symptoms may be experienced? What warning signs may be associated with the issue or condition described?|
|A3)||The vehicle will illuminate multiple telltale lamps, including the antilock brake, brake, and electronic stability control warning lamps, and the vehicle’s driver information center will display multiple warnings to the driver, including the “Service Brake Assist,” “Service ESC,” and “Brake System Failure” warnings. This condition can only occur at vehicle ignition while the vehicle is stationary.
|Q4)||What is the remedy/repair?|
|A4)||Dealers will reprogram the electronic brake control module.
|Q5)||What is the safety risk? Is the vehicle safe to drive?|
|A5)||NHTSA Recall 19V889 involved a software error that could cause the vehicle’s ESC and ABS telltale lamps to fail to illuminate in certain circumstances. If a driver were unaware that ESC and ABS were not functioning, there may be increased risk of a crash.
|Q6)||Does the customer have to pay for this remedy/repair?|
|A6)||No, this inspection/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q7)||Is the remedy/repair available now?|
|A7)||Yes, the remedy/repair is available now, please see the attached bulletin for details.
|Q8)||What should customers do until recall repairs can be completed? Are there any special instructions?|
|A8)||If the vehicle is functioning normally, until the recall is performed Do NOT remote start the vehicle with your “My Brand” App.
If the customer claims at vehicle start (ignition on) that they see multiple telltale lamps, including brake, antilock brake, electronic stability control warning lamps, and the vehicle’s driver information center displays multiple warnings to the driver, including the “Service Brake Assist,” “Service ESC,” and “Brake System Failure” warnings, they should be advised NOT to drive the vehicle in this condition. This condition can be related to a recent software glitch and new software is available from dealers to remedy this problem. To reset this software fault, the following procedure can be used (this is not a long-term fix for the software, the software fix is available from dealers).
|Q9)||How can customers check to see if their vehicle is involved in this field action?|
|A9)||Customers who own a vehicle involved in the field action will be notified by mail by General Motors, but they may also check their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for field actions in GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/recalls or via NHTSA’s website at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.
|Q10)||If customers are concerned, can they get a rental car or courtesy transportation?|
|A10)||Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in this recall and are within the warranty coverage period for the warranty which is associated with this recall. Please refer to Warranty Administration Bulletin #17-NA-073: Field Action Courtesy Transportation Policy for further information.
F/CMVSS Noncompliance Recall
N192268091 Brake System Malfunction Warning
Release Date: January 2020 Revision: 01
Revision Description: This bulletin is being revised to update the condition statement and remove the customer letter. Please discard all previous copies of bulletin N192268091.
|Attention:||It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
|Chevrolet||Silverado 1500 (New Model)||2019||2019|
|GMC||Sierra 1500 (New Model)|
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||General Motors has decided that certain 2019 model year Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles may fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 126, “Electronic stability control systems for light vehicles” and FMVSS 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.” While receiving service at a GM dealership for an unrelated condition, these vehicles may have received the pre-launch version of the electronic brake control module (EBCM) software intended as the remedy in NHTSA Recall 19V889. This pre-launch EBCM software contains an error. If (i) the vehicle is started remotely using the Onstar mobile app or (ii) the driver enters the vehicle and waits five or more minutes before starting the vehicle using the ignition, this software error can, in rare cases, disable the vehicle’s electronic brake assist and illuminate the ESC, ABS and BRAKE telltales. Bulletin N192268090 involved a software error that could cause the vehicle’s ESC and ABS telltale lamps to fail to illuminate in certain circumstances. If a driver were unaware that ESC and ABS were not functioning, there may be increased risk of a crash.|
|Correction||Dealers are to reprogram the brake system control module.|
No parts are required for this repair.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9104816*||Verified Module Software or Calibration Level: Module Is Programmed with Same Level Software or Calibration||0.2||ZFAT||N/A|
|9104817*||Brake System Control Module Reprogramming with SPS||0.3||ZFAT||N/A|
* Warning: To avoid warranty transaction rejections, carefully read and follow the instructions below:
- The SPS Warranty Claim Code must be accurately entered in the “SPS Warranty Claim Code” field of the transaction.
- When more than one Warranty Claim Code is generated for a programming event, it is required to document all Warranty Claim Codes in the “Correction” field on the job card. Dealers must also enter one of the codes in the “SPS Warranty Claim Code” field of the transaction, otherwise the transaction will reject. It is best practice to enter the FINAL code provided by SPS.
Warranty Claim Code Information Retrieval
- Select the Warranty Claim Code tab.
The VIN, Warranty Claim Code and Date/Time will be listed on a roster of recent programming events. If the code is retrievable, dealers should resubmit the transaction making sure to include the code in the SPS Warranty Claim Code field.
Important: Carefully read and follow the instructions below.
- Ensure the programming tool is equipped with the latest software and is securely connected to the data link connector. If there is an interruption during programming, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
- Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. Install a GM Authorized Programming Support Tool to maintain system voltage. Refer to gmdesolutions.com for further information. If not available, connect a fully charged 12 V jumper or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply. DO NOT connect a battery charger.
- Turn OFF or disable systems that may put a load on the vehicles battery such as; interior lights, exterior lights (including daytime running lights), HVAC, radio, etc.
- Clear DTCs after programming is complete. Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.
Important: If the Same Calibration/Software Warning is noted on the SPS screen, select OK and follow screen instructions. After a successful programming event, the WCC is located in the Service Programming System dialogue box of the SPS Summary screen. No further action is required. Refer to the Warranty section of the bulletin.
- Reprogram the Brake System Control Module. Refer to K160 Brake System Control Module: Programming and Setup in SI.
Important: To avoid warranty transaction rejections, you MUST record the warranty claim code provided on the SPS Warranty Claim Code (WCC) screen on the job card. Refer to callout 1 above for the location of the WCC on the SPS screen.
- Record SPS Warranty Claim Code on job card for warranty transaction submission.
Dealer Responsibility – For USA & Export (USA States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
Dealer Responsibility – All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be recertified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this field action enters your vehicle inventory you must take the steps necessary to ensure the program correction has been made before selling the vehicle. In addition, for vehicles entering your facility for service, you are required to ensure the customer is aware of the open field action and make every reasonable effort to implement the program correction as set forth in this bulletin prior to releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Courtesy Transportation – For USA & Canada
Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in a product program and still within the warranty coverage period. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Sections 1.4 and 6.1.10, for courtesy transportation program details.
USA & Canada – General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle.
Export – Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
2 Affected Products
7 Associated Documents
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Recall Acknowledgement – Population change to 148055
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
Miscellaneous Document – Frequently Asked Questions
Latest Recalls Documents
To obtain the latest electronic controller calibration information for your vehicle, go to https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and enter the vehicle’s 17 character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and select ‘Get CAL ID’.
You can then compare the latest part number with the actual number installed on the vehicle to determine if a reprogram is needed.
The Service Programming System (SPS) application is part of the TIS2Web system. To program an ECU, the SPS application must communicate with the vehicle control modules using the proper J2534 programming interface tool.
The following are the supported interface tools:
|OEM GM Tech 2 Dealer Package|
|Bosch GM MDI 2 (2nd Gen) MDI2 interface|
The Tech 2 supports model years 1996 and beyond. With the addition of the CAN Diagnostic Interface (CANdi) module, Tech 2 is fully backward compatible with current Tech 2 functionality and operates transparently when diagnosing non-CAN-equipped vehicles.
The GM MDI is the Global Diagnostic tool for future vehicles starting with Global A vehicles. The GM MDI was introduced in the fall of 2007 for Pass-Thru programming and offers faster programming speed. It can be used to perform Pass-Thru programming on all vehicles built since 1996 and into the future. Click here to view a list of GDS supported vehicles.
- CERTIFIED BY AUTHORITY: As an upgraded version of the MS908P,same function as MS908S PRO and MaxiSys Elite. This superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain, and characterized by its high-end diagnostic features with easy-to-use operations. It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance.
- ECU CODING/PROGRAMMING: This top-level OBD2 scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues.
- TOP-LEVEL CONFIGURATION: This Android4.4 based high-end car scanner is designed with the advanced hardware configurations including super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc. for users to detect the problems of the given vehicle efficiently and accurately.
- ABUNDANT VEHICLE MODELS: This diagnostic scan tool is built for testing more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes and you can use it to test more vehicles when you complete the update at our official website once in a while. It is basically a bidirectional scanner that allows you to send and receive data to and from a car’s control modules.
- DATA MANAGEMENT OPERAION: In order to bring convenience for users to manage all the data and parameters stored in this diagnostic tool, Autel MK908P supports the following user-friendly managing functions: Shop Manager Operation, MaxiFix Operation, Data Manager Operation, etc. to quickly and directly select the required referring information while diagnosing.
- VCX is designed on the basis of the latest automotive international standards so that it can support many professional automotive diagnostic applications
- WIFI Version VXDIAG VCX Nano compatible for TOYOTA and Lexus, support both USB connection and WIFI connection, support latest version software, Compatible with varieties protocols. can be very easy to connect various automotive bus to a PC
- OS support both WINDOWS XP and Windows 7, Software support multi-languages: Chinese, English, French, Italian, Spanish, German, ec
- Small size, easy to carry and convenient for us
- One year warranty
- Wireless connection - simple plug and play configuration Upgraded support includes 802 11bgn
- High Speed USB 2 0 Connection with improved protection and faster performance
- Improved stability during engine crank with extended temperature range
- Enclosure design protects from exposure to fluids and drops
- Additional vehicle communications protocols include upcoming Global B vehicles with faster data buses SAE J2534 and ISO-22900 compliant
- VXDIAG VCX NANO Box is PC-to-vehicle interface compatible with multiple software applications, minimizing your investment in multiple brand-specific diagnostic interfaces
- VXDIAG VCX Nano for GM/OPEL compatible with GDS and Tech2win software, support for GM/OPEL Diagnose and programming,for programming function, you would need buy software subscription online
- Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports; Support all current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2, GM LAN, etc.
- About Software: Our hardware is compatible with original software and for SPS programming online you need purchase subscription online.
- Installation Tips: Tech2win software can only be installed on 32bit computer(win7 or win10 both ok) and please attention Tech2win software can not be installed on virtual machine, need install on physica system. For any technical problem, please feel free to contact us at any time, we have engineer can assist you online.
- ECU PROGRAMMING: The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- VEHICLE COVERAGE: The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- ADVANCED HARDWARE: MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P, features the 10. 1” 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9. 7” 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- BI-DIRECTIONAL CONTROL: The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICE: The MK908P is designed to serve users with a rich array of easy-to-use functions and features. The Maxi Fix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
- Advanced Diagnostic Scanner for ECU Programming : MK908P has been designed to perform some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz. With the jbox/J2534 VCI or BMW Ethernet Cable, you can edit the cars performance data, like adjusting RPM, fuel injection, etc. A professional car diagnostics scanner to save time/effort on repairs. Form some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz
- Comprehensive Features : Besides Coding and ECU programming functions, the scan tool supports reprogram keys, Bi-directional control, active test, ABS bleeding, complete capabilities for codes, live data, actuation tests, adaptations, prints out recorded data with Wi-Fi. Warm tips Benz-14 & Chang'an-3 Adapters only for UK version, not US version
- User Friendly : The live data stream displayed the real time PID data from ECU and the displayed data included analog inputs and outputs, digital inputs and outputs and system status information broadcast. The graphic display greatly improved the readability and understandability of above parameters. This is definitely a perfect scan tool for enthusiasts interested in knowing how their car is running
- Easy to Operate : The hardware can equal to a best rank android tablet in the market and that made the whole diagnostic procedure more quickly and precisely. Maxisys platform, cloud-based Maxisys provide a large amount of data about the diagnosis and repair advices, that’s really helpful, whenever you encounter problems, you can find solutions from it
- Compatible with Some Add-ons : Combination with Oscilloscope Maxi Scope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras MV108, the power of this tool is amazing and the detail you receive about every component of the vehicle makes pinpointing a problem painless. Affordable combination of MS908P and TS601 supports TPMS programming, which turns into a powerful diagnostic tool.Welcome to get technical support via [email protected]
- ---【Guarantee】---:1/Year Free Update; ------Before purchase, suggest message us with your car brand ,model, productive year and the function you require. ------ Work with computer Win7 System, 32bit, I5CPU 4G RAM , software Installation is a little complicated, We Support Remote help, feel free to contact us please
- ---[Function]---: Work for GM vehicle for Buick, for Chevrolet, for Cadillac ( 2005-2017 Years); for Opel and for Saab ( 2009-2017 ) diagnose engines, OBD II Code reader, clear fault code, transmissions, ABS, instrument panels etc. Program and coding require online account, we don't offer.
- ---[Compatible]---: ------VXDIAG GM professional Diagnostic Tool Fully compatible with GM vehicle SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; ------Because Antivirus software cannot recognize and regard VXDIAG software as virus, so, please shut down the antivirus software before you install software, hope you can accept, thank you.
- ---[Connection]---:Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports, quickly attaches to vehicle's diagnostic connector. Connect car and device via 16pin OBDII port, connect device by USB cable/ WIFI
- ---[Protocols]---:The software of VXDIAG VCX NANO for GM includes two parts: tech2win and GDS2. Version of tech2win: V33.003; Version of GDS2: V2016.1.0 ; Mixed fleet capabilities with broad protocol support, All current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2,for GM LAN, etc.
- VXDIAG Multi Diagnostic Tool Support J2534 Protocol, one device can support multi vehicle software
- Support 12V gasoline and diesel car
- Hardware support 4-way CAN BUS and 2-way K - Line/L-Line, support multi-protocol high-speed and concurrent communication
- With the innovation design of OBD II intelligent bus protocol routing hardware, a diagnostic plug can be intelligent identification test all models, fully meet the future demand for all kinds of bus communication
- Support Add more vehicle brand, only need provide serial number and pay for the vehicle authorization fee
- ADVANCED ECU CODING Exceptional OE-Level functionality from comprehensive OBDII diagnostics & services to advanced ECU coding and programming working with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant vehicle programming pass-thru interface
- EXTENSIVE VEHICLE COVERAGE; The most extensive complete system coverage for more than 80 US domestic, Asian and European makes and models
- AUTOMATIC SYSTEM Automatic system and software updates with real-time push message notifications via internet with instant remote control tech support anytime, anywhere and interactive Data Logging sessions enable direct contact with Autel
- ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS Support for first-hand troubleshooting of diagnostic bugs and errors, and one-stop multitasking designed for ideal management of workshop operations to keep all data files, customer info, and vehicle records well organized
- UNIQUE ERGONOMIC DESIGN; with rubberized outer protection and a rugged internal housing
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-02-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API