December 12, 2019 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 19V889000
If the driver operates the vehicle unaware that ESC and ABS are not functioning, there is an increased risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V889
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 463,995
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2019 Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Cadillac CT6, and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles. Due to an Electronic Brake Control Module (EBCM) software error, the vehicle’s Electronic Stability Control (ESC) and Antilock Brake System (ABS) may become disabled. Furthermore, if this specific error occurs, the vehicle’s diagnostics will not illuminate the instrument cluster ESC and ABS malfunction warning lights. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 126, “Electronic Stability Control” and 135, “Light Vehicle Brake Systems.”
GM will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the EBCM, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 27, 2020. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, Cadillac customer service at 1-800-333-4223, or GMC customer service at 1-888-988-7267. GM’s number for this recall is N192268090.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for NonCompliance Recall N192268090
Brake System Malfunction Warning
These questions and answers are being provided to help GM dealers respond to inquiries from involved vehicle owners about the Safety recall identified above.
|Q1)||Which vehicles are involved?|
|A1)||Certain 2019 model year Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles.
|Q2)||What is the issue or condition?|
|A2)||Certain vehicles may fail to conform to S5.3 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 126, “Electronic stability control systems for light vehicles” and S5.1 of FMVSS 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.” In these vehicles, a software error can, in rare cases, disable the vehicle’s electronic stability control (ESC) and antilock brake system (ABS) systems for a single ignition cycle. If this specific error occurs, the vehicle’s diagnostics will not illuminate the vehicle’s ESC and ABS telltale lamps, as required by S5.3 of FMVSS 126 and S5.1 of FMVSS 135.
|Q3)||What symptoms may be experienced? What warning signs may be associated with the issue or condition described?|
|Q4)||What is the remedy/repair?|
|A4)||Dealers will reprogram the brake system control module.
|Q5)||What is the safety risk? Is the vehicle safe to drive?|
|A5)||If the driver is unaware that ESC and ABS are not functioning, there may be increased risk of a crash.
|Q6)||Does the customer have to pay for this remedy/repair?|
|A6)||No, this inspection/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q7)||Is the remedy/repair available now?|
|A7)||Yes, the remedy/repair is available now, please see the attached bulletin for details.
|Q8)||What should customers do until recall repairs can be completed? Are there any special instructions?|
|A8)||If special instructions are provided, they will be included in the notification letters to customers.
|Q9)||How can customers check to see if their vehicle is involved in this field action?|
|A9)||Customers who own a vehicle involved in the field action will be notified by mail by General Motors, but they may also check their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for field actions in GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/recalls or via NHTSA’s website at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.
|Q10)||If customers are concerned, can they get a rental car or courtesy transportation?|
|A10)||Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in this recall and are within the warranty coverage period for the warranty which is associated with this recall. Please refer to Warranty Administration Bulletin #17-NA-073: Field Action Courtesy Transportation Policy for further information.|
F/CMVSS Noncompliance Recall
N192268090 Brake System Malfunction Warning
Release Date: December 2019 Revision: 00
|Attention:||It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
All involved vehicles that are in dealer inventory must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer traded, or used for demonstration purposes until the repair contained in this bulletin has been performed on the vehicle.
|Chevrolet||Silverado 1500 (New Model)|
|GMC||Sierra 1500 (New Model)|
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||General Motors has decided that certain 2019 model year Cadillac CT6, Chevrolet Silverado 1500, and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles may fail to conform to S5.3 of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard
(FMVSS) No. 126, “Electronic stability control systems for light vehicles” and S5.5.1 of FMVSS 135, “Light vehicle brake systems.” In these vehicles, a software error can, in rare cases, disable the vehicle’s electronic stability control (ESC) and antilock brake system (ABS) systems for a single ignition cycle. If this specific error occurs, the vehicle’s diagnostics will not illuminate the vehicle’s ESC and ABS telltale lamps, as required by S5.3 of FMVSS 126 and S5.1 of FMVSS 135. If the driver is unaware that ESC and ABS are not functioning, there may be increased risk of a crash.
|Correction||Dealers are to reprogram the brake system control module.|
No parts are required for this repair.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9104800*||Verified Module Software or Calibration Level: Module Is Programmed with Same Level Software or Calibration||0.2||ZFAT||N/A|
|9104801*||Brake System Control Module Reprogramming with SPS||0.3||ZFAT||N/A|
* Warning: To avoid warranty transaction rejections, carefully read and follow the instructions below:
- The SPS Warranty Claim Code must be accurately entered in the “SPS Warranty Claim Code” field of the transaction.
- When more than one Warranty Claim Code is generated for a programming event, it is required to document all Warranty Claim Codes in the “Correction” field on the job card. Dealers must also enter one of the codes in the “SPS Warranty Claim Code” field of the transaction, otherwise the transaction will reject. It is best practice to enter the FINAL code provided by SPS.
Warranty Claim Code Information Retrieval
- Open TIS on the computer used to program the vehicle.
- Select and start SPS.
- Select Settings.
- Select the Warranty Claim Code tab.
The VIN, Warranty Claim Code and Date/Time will be listed on a roster of recent programming events. If the code is retrievable, dealers should resubmit the transaction making sure to include the code in the SPS Warranty Claim Code field.
Important: Carefully read and follow the instructions below.
- Ensure the programming tool is equipped with the latest software and is securely connected to the data link connector. If there is an interruption during programming, programming failure or control module damage may occur.
- Stable battery voltage is critical during programming. Any fluctuation, spiking, over voltage or loss of voltage will interrupt programming. Install a GM Authorized Programming Support Tool to maintain system voltage. Refer to gmdesolutions.com for further information. If not available, connect a fully charged 12 V jumper or booster pack disconnected from the AC voltage supply. DO NOT connect a battery charger.
- Turn OFF or disable systems that may put a load on the vehicles battery such as; interior lights, exterior lights (including daytime running lights), HVAC, radio, etc.
- Clear DTCs after programming is complete. Clearing powertrain DTCs will set the Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) system status indicators to NO.
|Important: If the Same Calibration/Software Warning is noted on the SPS screen, select OK and follow screen instructions. After a successful programming event, the WCC is located in the Service Programming System dialogue|
|box of the SPS Summary screen. No further action is required. Refer to the Warranty section of the bulletin.|
- Reprogram the Brake System Control Module. Refer to K160 Brake System Control Module: Programming and Setup in SI.
Important: To avoid warranty transaction rejections, you MUST record the warranty claim code provided on the SPS Warranty Claim Code (WCC) screen on the job card. Refer to callout 1 above for the location of the WCC on the SPS screen.
- Record SPS Warranty Claim Code on job card for warranty transaction submission.
Dealer Responsibility – For USA & Export (USA States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
Dealer Responsibility – All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be re-certified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
Courtesy Transportation – For USA & Canada
Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in a product program and still within the warranty coverage period. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Sections 1.4 and 6.1.10, for courtesy transportation program details.
USA & Canada – General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle
Export – Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
3 Affected Products
4 Associated Documents
Miscellaneous Document – N192268090 FAQs
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc)
Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report
Latest Recalls Documents
To obtain the latest electronic controller calibration information for your vehicle, go to https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web and enter the vehicle’s 17 character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and select ‘Get CAL ID’.
You can then compare the latest part number with the actual number installed on the vehicle to determine if a reprogram is needed.
The Service Programming System (SPS) application is part of the TIS2Web system. To program an ECU, the SPS application must communicate with the vehicle control modules using the proper J2534 programming interface tool.
The following are the supported interface tools:
|OEM GM Tech 2 Dealer Package|
|Bosch GM MDI 2 (2nd Gen) MDI2 interface|
The Tech 2 supports model years 1996 and beyond. With the addition of the CAN Diagnostic Interface (CANdi) module, Tech 2 is fully backward compatible with current Tech 2 functionality and operates transparently when diagnosing non-CAN-equipped vehicles.
The GM MDI is the Global Diagnostic tool for future vehicles starting with Global A vehicles. The GM MDI was introduced in the fall of 2007 for Pass-Thru programming and offers faster programming speed. It can be used to perform Pass-Thru programming on all vehicles built since 1996 and into the future. Click here to view a list of GDS supported vehicles.
- VXDIAG VCX NANO Box is PC-to-vehicle interface compatible with multiple software applications, minimizing your investment in multiple brand-specific diagnostic interfaces
- VXDIAG VCX Nano for GM/OPEL compatible with GDS and Tech2win software, support for GM/OPEL Diagnose and programming,for programming function, you would need buy software subscription online
- Fully compatible with SAE-J2534-1 & SAE-J2534-2; Quick access to vehicle data for maintenance or management reports; Support all current and most legacy vehicle protocols: CAN, UART, KW2000, Class2, GM LAN, etc.
- About Software: Our hardware is compatible with original software and for SPS programming online you need purchase subscription online.
- Installation Tips: Tech2win software can only be installed on 32bit computer(win7 or win10 both ok) and please attention Tech2win software can not be installed on virtual machine, need install on physica system. For any technical problem, please feel free to contact us at any time, we have engineer can assist you online.
- ECU PROGRAMMING: This Diagnostic scanner comes with a SAE J2534-1 & -2 compliant PassThru reprogramming interface device which allows you to use the updated OEM software to replace the existing software/firmware in ECUs, programming new ECUs for Benz/BMW and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues.
- SUPERIOR HARDWARE: The Maxicom MK908P is a upgraded version of the Maxisys Ms908P/Pro,it with Android4.4 based system amd super-fast hexa-core Processor, 2GM RAM, 64GB On-board Memory, 8.0 Megapixel rear cam, ultra-clear 10.1 inches LED screen etc.
- COMPREHENSIVE FUNCTIONS: Autel MaxiCOM MK908P performs the same function as Autel Maxisys Elite, Autel MS908S PRO, MS908E, and provide better price. this superior diagnostic device is awarded as the Best Vehicle Diagnostic Tool in Britain.
- WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE: Extensive OE-Level vehicle coverage for more than 80 US, Asian and European vehicle makes.It’s an ultimate car scanner for DIYers, experienced mechanics, even garage to finish professional-level vehicle repair and maintenance.
- Multi-ADD ONS: This Autel Scanner could connect the Oscilloscope-MaxiScope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras (MV105 and MV108) for vehicle’s electronic test or get the sight in the tight spaces.
- The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P,MS908S,MS908E, MS908PS PRO, features the 10.1” 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9.7” 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- The MaxiFix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
- 【Advanced IMMO & Key Programming】Autel IM608 is a perfect choice for auto technicians and locksmiths to encrypt keys, add keys, change keys, and generate keys. The Smart Mode and Expert Mode in IMMO app offer you guided and advanced Key Learning to choose. The Autel scanner can also read/write various key chips helping perform complete key programming quickly. Note: IM608 just can be used in the US. Don’t take it to other countries or change the IP.
- 【ECU Coding & Active Test】Active Test helps you accurately figure out whether a specific subsystem or component in vehicles goes well. This function may appear as Actuators, Actuator Test, or Function Tests, and the tests options vary by vehicle manufacturer and model. After repairs or replacements of vehicle parts, Autel IM608 can reprogram adaptive data for certain components of the test vehicle through ECU Coding.
- 【Reliable Key & ECU Programming Tools】 Equipped with XP400 key programmer and MaxiFlash ECU reprogrammer, this Autel scanner performs IMMO Add Key, All Key Lost and Key Learning for 3rd generation Benz. Besides convenient PC communication and ECU reprogramming capabilities from the MaxiFlash tool, it can read transponder data (including Mercedes Benz infrared smart key), clone/generate exclusive keys, etc. by working with the XP400 key programmer.
- 【Language & Wide Compatibility】When you get this Autel scanner, it only supports English. You can get the required language by providing the serial number for customer service via [email protected] Compatible with more than 80 makes and models from the US, Asian and European, the Autel IM608 can perform OE-Level all-system diagnostics for Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, GM, Jeep, etc.
- 【12-Month Free Update & Warranty】Autel IM608 comes with a 1-year free update online to improve the apps’ capabilities by adding critical patches, new models, etc. When the 1-year update expires, it will cost $1250 per year to continue updating. A 12-month warranty gives you a guarantee for any possible quality problems. For any question, feel free to ask the customer service.
- ECU CODING & PROGRAMMING: Worked with J2534 Pass-thru device, MaxiSys Elite is capable of ECU programming for Benz and BMW.
- EXTENSIVE COVERAGE: Available for over 80 1996 US-based, 2000 European-based and newer OBD2 protocol vehicles with full OBD functions, 11 reset functions and full systems diagnoses
- EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE: Worked with MaxiScope basic kit MP408, MaxiSys Elite provides users with an insight to the inner workings of a vehicle's electronic circuits
- TECHNICAL SUPPORT: Remote Tech Support for real-time software update notifications via internet. Interactive Data Logging Sessions for direct contact with Autel. One-stop multitasking for ideal management of data
- THOUGHTFUL DESIGNS: MaxiSys Elite is with rubberized outer protection and a rugged internal housing. MP408 features color coded 4-channel control panel and one-click auto setup of voltage scale and time base
- Wireless connection - simple plug and play configuration Upgraded support includes 802 11bgn
- High Speed USB 2 0 Connection with improved protection and faster performance
- Improved stability during engine crank with extended temperature range
- Enclosure design protects from exposure to fluids and drops
- Additional vehicle communications protocols include upcoming Global B vehicles with faster data buses SAE J2534 and ISO-22900 compliant
- 【Advanced Diagnostic Scanner for ECU Programming】 MK908P has been designed to perform some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz. With the jbox/J2534 VCI or BMW Ethernet Cable, you can edit the cars performance data, like adjusting RPM, fuel injection, etc. A professional car diagnostics scanner to save time/effort on repairs and dramatically improve the cars’ lifespan/performance. form some of the most complicated engine diagnostics and reprogramming in BMW and Mercedes Benz. With the jbox/J2534 VCI or BMW Ethernet Cable, you can edit the cars performance data, like adjusting RPM, fuel injection, etc. A professional car diagnostics scanner to save time/effort on repairs and dramatically improve the cars’ lifespan/performance.
- 【Comprehensive Features】 Besides Coding and ECU programming functions, the scan tool supports reprogram keys, Bi-directional control, active test, ABS bleeding, complete capabilities for codes, live data, actuation tests, adaptations, prints out recorded data with Wi-Fi. Save the money cost in buying an additional expensive adapter. Warm tips Benz-14 & Chang'an-3 Adapters only for UK version, not US version.
- 【User Friendly】 The Live Data Stream displayed the real time PID data from ECU and the displayed data included analog inputs and outputs, digital inputs and outputs, and system status information broadcast. The graphic display greatly improved the readability and understandability of above parameters. This is definitely a perfect scan tool for enthusiasts interested in knowing how their car is running.
- 【Operate Easily】 The hardware can equal to a best rank android tablet in the market and that made the whole diagnostic procedure more quickly and precisely. Maxisys platform, cloud-based Maxisys provide a large amount of data about the diagnosis and repair advices, that’s really helpful, whenever you encounter problems, you can find solutions from it.
- 【Compatible with Some Add-ons】 Combination with Oscilloscope Maxi Scope MP408 and Digital Inspection Cameras MV108, the power of this tool is amazing and the detail you receive about every component of the vehicle makes pinpointing a problem painless. Affordable combination of MS908P and TS601 supports TPMS programming, which turns into a powerful diagnostic tool.
- Modules Coding & Programming - Supporting J2534 ECU Programming Device is capable of replacing the existing software/firmware in the Electronic Control Units (ECU), programming new ECUs and fixing software-controlled drivability issues and emission issues for BMW and Mercedes Benz cars, also fixing issues of fuel efficiency, power loss, fault codes and durability of mechanical parts.
- Unrivalled Speed - MS908 Pro Diagnostic Platform bases on the revolutionary Android multitasking operating system, utilizes the powerful Cortex A7+A15 six-core processor, and equips with 9.7-inch LED capacitive touch screen. The system boots up in only 20 seconds which is 300% faster than competing tools, and the diagnostic time for some vehicle is up to 5 times faster than previously required, allowing you to perform your job much quicker.
- Ultrafast Wireless - The Maxisys features advanced dual-band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) 802.11n WIFI that’s up to twice as fast as any previous-generation diagnostic systems. Once the wireless VCI is connected to the car, the technician is completely free to move around anywhere in the shop. Its wireless connect-ivity also means you can field updates to the latest software release, allowing for update anywhere and anytime.
- Exceptional OE-Level Coverage - Autel has been committed to providing the best and easiest-to-use diagnostic solution with the most extensive coverage of all systems for all the major vehicle manufactures. This enables independent garages to confidently provide comprehensive servicing in their own workshops without relying on dealer availability Continual software enhancement will provide additional vehicle coverage.
- Smart Technology - Featuring the latest Auto VIN technology to identify CAN vehicles in one touch combined with the exclusive Auto Scan function make the MaxiSys the most intelligent system in the industry. Another smart feature - the industry first cloud-based online community puts you in touch with the latest tips and expertise from technicians around the world. This item offering 2 years free update.
- ECU PROGRAMMING: The diagnostic tool comes with a J2534 ECU programming device that helps Benz and BMW users replace the existing software/firmware in the ECU, program new ECUs and fix software-controlled driving performance and emission issues.
- VEHICLE COVERAGE: The software of MK908P has a wide range of compatibility and can be used to diagnose vehicles from over 80 brands in the US, Europe and Asia. Moreover, you can get more newly added car models with the fast-release software update service.
- ADVANCED HARDWARE: MK908P, as the advanced version of MS908P, features the 10. 1” 1920*1200 screen upgraded from 9. 7” 1024*768, and the battery capacity is 15000mAh increased by 4000 mA. Also, it has a better anti-impact protection design.
- BI-DIRECTIONAL CONTROL: The diagnostic tool supports bi-direction control to check the vehicle operating conditions. The bi-directional control of the ECM in Component Test enables the MK908P to transmit control commands to operate the vehicle systems.
- ADDITIONAL SERVICE: The MK908P is designed to serve users with a rich array of easy-to-use functions and features. The Maxi Fix provides you with an online troubleshooter database, and Remote Desk allows you to get help from others via TeamViewer software.
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2020-01-17 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API