January 26, 2017 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 17V061000
In the event of a crash, if the front passenger air bag does not deploy as intended, the front passenger has an increased risk of injury.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 17V061
Manufacturer General Motors LLC
Components AIR BAGS
Potential Number of Units Affected 91,007
General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky vehicles. The Passenger Air Bag Suppression System (PPS) sensor may become bent or damaged within the front passenger seat, possibly disabling the front passenger air bag.
The remedy for this recall is still under development. A permanent remedy is currently under development. The recall began February 26, 2018. Owners may contact Pontiac customer service at 1-800-762-2737 or Saturn customer service at 1-800-553-6000. GM’s number for this recall is 17036.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
#17036-02: Safety Recall – Passenger Presence System – (Mar 27, 2018)
|Subject:||17036–02 — Passenger Presence System|
|Models:||2006–2010 Pontiac Solstice|
|2007–2010 Saturn SKY|
|Reference Number:||N162080281||Release Date:||March 2018|
|Revision Description: This bulletin has been revised to update the Correction statement, add additional language in the Parts section, and provide a Caution statement in the Service Procedure regarding the use of power tools when removing the seat to the floor mounting fasteners. Please note, the Passenger Presence Module is only intended to be replaced if nonfunctional Please discard all copies of bulletin 17036-01.|
|Attention:||It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.|
Involved vehicles are marked “open” on the Investigate Vehicle History screen in GM Global Warranty Management system. This site should always be checked to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs.
|Condition||General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2006-2010 model year Pontiac Solstice and 2007-2010 model year Saturn SKY vehicles. To satisfy Federal/Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS/CMVSS) 208 airbag suppression requirements, these vehicles are equipped with a passenger airbag suppression system (PPS) that is designed to determine whether the passenger seat is occupied by a child and whether the front passenger airbag should be suppressed during a crash. The PPS system uses a flexible sensor mat inside the passenger seat. Occupant pressure on the seat in the same location can, over time, bend and damage the sensor’s printed conductor. In severe cases, this damage can cause an open circuit in the sensor. While the sensor circuit is open, the PPS module will indicate to the vehicle’s sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) that a fault exists in the PPS system, and the SDM will—by default—suppress the front passenger airbag during a crash. If an active fault exists in the PPS system and a crash occurs, the SDM will not deploy the front passenger airbag. If an adult is occupying the passenger seat, the suppression of the front passenger airbag could increase the risk of injury to the passenger.|
|Correction||Dealers are to inspect the PPS sensor mat for proper function. If the mat is functioning correctly, dealers will add a reinforcement strip to the existing sensor mat. If the mat is not functioning correctly, dealers will install a new PPS mat with the reinforcement strip. Please note that GM’s standard 1 year/unlimited service part warranty applies to both the sensor mat and the reinforcement strip, regardless of which repair procedure is used. If only the reinforcement strip is installed, and the sensor mat fails during the 1 year/unlimited warranty period, the sensor mat and the reinforcement strip should be replaced free of charge.|
|Quantity||Part Name||Part No.|
|4||Retainer – Seat Cover||10121502|
|1||Reinforcement – Passenger Presence Sensor||84447742|
|1 (If Required)||Module – Passenger Presence||19124219|
* It is estimated that less than 3% of the involved vehicles will require part 19124219 be replaced on this vehicle. Due to the small number of vehicles anticipated that will need this fix and the limited initial parts availability, dealers are encouraged not to order recall parts for use as shelf stock. Do not order this part from CCA until step #1 of the service procedure has been performed and the module is verified as non-functional.
|Labor Operation||Description||Labor Time||Trans. Type||Net Item|
|9102629||Install Passenger Presence Sensor Reinforcement
ADD: Verify DTC If Airbag Lamp Indicates No Occupant (Includes Module Replacement)
|9103251||Customer Reimbursement Approved
– For USA and Canada dealers only
– For Export dealers only
|9103252||Customer Reimbursement Denied – For USA dealers only||N/A||ZFAT||**|
Note: To avoid having to “H” route the customer reimbursement transaction for approval, it must be submitted prior to the repair transaction.
* For USA and Canada: Submit the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer in Net/Reimbursement. Submit $20.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.
For Export: Submit the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer in Net/Reimbursement.
** Submit $10.00 administrative allowance in Net/Admin Allowance.
- With the vehicle ignition key in the “On” position, have an adult weighing at least 150 lbs. occupy the passenger seat. Observe the passenger airbag telltale. It should change from “Off” to “On”.
- If the passenger airbag telltale indicates that the airbag is on, do not replace the passenger presence module, proceed to step number 2.
- If the passenger airbag telltale indicates that the airbag is NOT on, verify DTC B0081 is current in the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM), and replace the inflatable restraint passenger presence module in addition to performing the installation of the reinforcement strip. Refer to Inflatable Restraint Passenger Presence System Replacement – System in SI.
Caution: Use only hand tools when removing the seat to the floor mounting fasteners. If impact guns, air wrenches or any type of power drivers are used to remove the seat to floor fasteners, severe damage may occur to the vehicle.
Note: Verify that the temperature of the vehicle and service parts are between 55°F-100°F (13°C-38°C) before removing trim cover and applying the reinforcement strip. Once trim cover is removed, verify sensor surface is clean and dry to ensure reinforcement adhesive bond strength.
Note: Use a small flat blade screw driver to separate the seat cover hook and loop fastener strips from the seat foam fasteners. Do not pull the two components apart, the seat cushion may be damaged. If the cover fastener strips pull out of foam, the seat cover will not attach to seat properly, replace the cushion pad with a new cushion.
- Turn Ignition to the “OFF” position. Remove the passenger seat cushion trim cover. Refer to Seat Cushion Trim Cover and Pad Replacement in SI.
- Using a ruler, locate the center of the seat pad in the area shown.
- Mark the center with a permanent marker.
Note: The reinforcement in the photos is green in color to help display the proper location and installation. The actual service part is clear. The reinforcement strip alignment hole is slightly offset from center, this is intentional and not an error in service part. Ensure the alignment hole in the reinforcement is aligned directly over the hole in the sensor assembly.
- Remove the protective liner from the adhesive backed reinforcement strip, beginning at the end with the alignment hole.
- Center the hole in the reinforcement strip with the hole in the seat pad.
- Align the center of the other end of the reinforcement strip with the center mark created with the permanent marker.
- Remove the remainder of the protective paper and firmly press the reinforcement strip onto the passenger presence pad for at least 10 seconds to ensure even adhesion to the sensor felt.
- Using four new retainers, reinstall the passenger seat cushion trim cover. Refer to Seat Cushion Trim Cover and Pad Replacement in SI.
- Reinstall the seat and perform step number 1 again to verify the function of the system.
Dealer Responsibility — For US and Export (US States, Territories, and Possessions)
It is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification under a sale or lease until the defect or noncompliance is remedied.
The US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act provides that each vehicle that is subject to a recall of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time. If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation. To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. In the recall notification letters, customers are told how to contact the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration if the recall is not completed within a reasonable time.
Dealer Responsibility — All
All new, used, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc. in dealers’ possession and subject to this recall must be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this bulletin before customers take possession of these vehicles. Involved vehicles must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration, or any other purpose.
All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified and must be held and remedied per the service procedure in this bulletin. Upon submitting an accepted/paid warranty transaction in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system, the vehicle can be re-certified for sale within the CPOIS system, or once again be used in the CTP program.
Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this recall at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.
Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. A copy of the customer letter is provided in this bulletin for your use in contacting customers. Recall follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.
In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this recall enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, you must take the steps necessary to be sure the recall correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles has been prepared and will be provided to U.S. and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
USA & Canada – General Motors will notify customers of this recall on their vehicle (see copy of customer letter included with this bulletin).
Export – Letters will be sent to known owners of record located within areas covered by the US National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by March 31, 2019. See General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual, Section 6.1.11 – Product Field Action Customer Reimbursement Procedure (USA & Canada) or local Policies and Procedures, for details.
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
This notice applies to your vehicle, VIN:_____________________________
Dear General Motors Customer:
This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.
General Motors has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2006-2010 model year Pontiac Solstice and 2007-2010 model year Saturn SKY vehicles. As a result, GM is conducting a safety recall. We apologize for this inconvenience. However, we are concerned about your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.
|Why is your vehicle being recalled?||Vehicles are equipped with a passenger airbag suppression system (PPS) that is designed to determine whether the passenger seat is occupied by a child and whether the front passenger airbag should be suppressed during a crash. The PPS system uses a flexible sensor mat inside the passenger seat. Occupant pressure on the seat in the same location can, over time, bend and damage the sensor’s printed conductor. In severe cases, this damage can cause an open circuit in the sensor. While the sensor circuit is open, the PPS module will indicate to the vehicle’s sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) that a fault exists in the PPS system, and the SDM will—by default—suppress the front passenger airbag during a crash.
If an active fault exists in the PPS system and a crash occurs, the SDM will not deploy the front passenger airbag. If an adult is occupying the passenger seat, the suppression of the front passenger airbag could increase the risk of injury to the passenger.
|What will we do?||Your GM dealer will inspect the PPS sensor mat for damage. If the mat is undamaged and functioning correctly, your dealer will add a reinforcement strip to the sensor mat. If the mat is damaged, your dealer will install a new PPS mat with the reinforcement strip. This service will be performed for you at no charge. Because of service scheduling requirements, it is likely that your dealer will need your vehicle longer than the actual service correction time of approximately one hour.|
|What should you do?||You should contact your GM dealer to arrange a service appointment as soon as possible.|
|Did you already pay for this repair?||Even though you may have already had repairs for this condition, you will still need to take your vehicle to your dealer for additional repairs. If you have paid for repairs for the recall condition, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by March 31, 2019, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.|
|Do you have questions?||If you have questions or concerns that your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.|
|Division||Number||Text Telephones (TTY)|
|Puerto Rico – English||1-800-496-9992|
|Puerto Rico – Español||1-800-496-9993|
If after contacting your dealer and the Customer Assistance Center, you are still not satisfied we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE, Washington, DC 20590, or call the toll-free Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY 1.800.424.9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Campaign ID Number for this recall is 17V061.
Federal regulation requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.
Maryann L. Combs
Global Vehicle Safety
GM Recall 17036
9 Affected Products
24 Associated Documents
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Defect Notice 573 Report
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: January 26, 2017 Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 17036 Passenger Presence System
Recall 573 Report-Amendment 2
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: June 28, 2017 Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 17036 Passenger Presence System Issue of Interim Repair Bulletin
Safety Bulletin – Reference Number: N162080281 Release Date: June 2017
Recall 573 Report-Amendment 1
ISSUED Interim Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: May 4, 2017 Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 17036 Passenger Presence System Temporary Repair for Customer Vehicles Only
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: March 13, 2017 Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 17036 Passenger Presence System Application for Used Vehicle Working Capital Assistance Program
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: March 14, 2017 Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall 17036 – Update Passenger Presence System Customer Advisory Letter Mailing
Recall 573 Report-Amendment 3
ISSUED Owner Notification Letter(Part 577)
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: March 27, 2018 Subject: 17036-02 – Safety Recall Passenger Presence System Revised Correction, Parts, and Service Procedure sections
Safety Bulletin – Reference Number: N162080281 Release Date: March 2018 Revision: 02
Safety Bulletin – Reference Number: N162080281 Release Date: February 2018 Revision: 01
Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) – Date: February 22, 2018 Subject: 17036-01 – Safety Recall Passenger Presence System Revised Correction, Parts, Warranty and Service Procedure sections, and Customer Letter Added
Recall Quarterly Report #3, 2018-3
May 15, 2018 Subject: Clarification on Quarterly Report Figures Recall 17V061 (GM 17036)
Recall Quarterly Report #4, 2018-4
Recall Quarterly Report
Recall Quarterly Report #5, 2019-1
Recall Quarterly Report #1, 2018-1
1 Associated Investigation
Passenger Sensing System Sensor Mat
NHTSA ID: DP16001
Dated opened: May 16, 2016
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) received a petition requesting the opening of an investigation into the air bag system on model year 2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice and 2007-2010 Saturn Sky, the subject vehicles. The petitioner raised the issue of failure of the Passenger Sensing System for the front passenger seating position.
On January 26, 2017, General Motors filed a defect information report recalling the subject vehicles to address the issue raised by the petition. In view of the recall, ODI considers the petition moot and is closing the action. The closing of the petition does not constitute a finding by NHTSA that a safety-related defect does not exist, and the agency reserves the right to take additional action if warranted by future circumstances.
- MADE IN THE USA by a small family business that specializes in the best leather cleaner and conditioner on the market. Millions of happy customers.
- CONCENTRATED FORMULA means great value each four-ounce bottle makes up to 32 ounces of leather cleaner when diluted with water.
- QUICKLY AND GENTLY CLEANS all types of leather and vinyl, removing dirt, oil, tough stains and grime. Non-toxic leather cleaner is perfect for every leather product, including saddles and tack, automotive interiors, furniture, handbags, shoes and jackets. Not for use on suede.
- UNLIMITED 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE. If you're not happy with any of our products, simply return them for a full refund of your purchase price!
- SPECIALLY FORMULATED to work with Leather Honey Leather Conditioner, the #1 best-selling leather care product on Amazon.
- CLEANS, CONDITIONS, NOURISHES - Cleans leather surfaces while applying conditioner and nourishment
- PROTECTS SURFACE - A clear protective coating saves the material from usual wear and tear, as well as harmful UV rays that cause damage to the surface.
- VERSATILE - These household wipes can be used on any leather surface, including: Shoes, furniture, apparel, purses/bags, and car interiors.
- SAFE - This non-toxic, phosphate free formula removes smudges, dirt, and other remaining impurities safely and effectively.
- FRESH SCENT - Leave your surfaces clean and smelling light and fresh.
- Simple & Non Toxic - Condition and protect in one simple step to maintain any finished leather surface
- Use on - Use regularly on accessories such as leather, purses, shoes, boots, briefcases & handbags
- Protect - UVX - Sunscreen protects all types of leather from sun damage, fading, drying & cracking
- Restore - Safely removes dirt, soil & residue to soften, strengthen & moisturize neglected leather
- Recommended - Finished leather surfaces including car interior shoes boots briefcases handbags & coats - Do not use on suede, nubuck, Natuzzi Brand or any unfinished leather
- Enjoy supple, beautiful leather - restores and protects leather from wear, weather, and sunlight / UV rays
- Gentle, pH-balanced and non-toxic - conditions deeply, leaving only a light shine and natural leather scent with no residues
- Multiple applications - For use on automotive interiors and seats, jackets, boots, handbags, couches, sofas, and more
- Safe and effective - works on treated, untreated, exotic, reptile, and bonded leathers (not made for suede or nubuck)
- Your satisfaction is guaranteed - 90-day no-hassle returns from Leather Rescue in case you change your mind
- RESTORE YOUR OLD FURNITURE BACK TO LIFE - No matter how old your leather is, our Furniture Treatment No. 5 deep conditions and cleans sofas, couches, chairs, ottomans, stools, recliners, sectionals and more. Our customers claim their furniture looks like new again after application. Trade that tacky couch cover for a product you'll enjoy using for years to come.
- REPAIR DRY, DULL, SCRATCHED LEATHER - Is your furniture looking used and abused? Worn cushions? Fix wear and tear with a good conditioner. Our formula is the perfect consistency and applies effortlessly. Will NOT make your leather look greasy or feel sticky as other products do.
- ALL-NATURAL, CHEMICAL-FREE, AMAZING FRAGRANCE - Many conditioners use unnatural chemicals that leave an unpleasant smell and a sticky or greasy feel. Avoid these at all cost as they will dry out your leather over time. Our formulas contain vital oils that nourish and strengthen leather.
- ONLY LEATHER CARE RECIPE TRUSTED BY SADDLEBACK LEATHER COMPANY - Tested on millions of leather items over the years. Saddleback makes some of the best looking, highest-quality leather goods on the market. Each and every Saddleback Leather product is conditioned with Leather Milk before shipping to customers.
- INCLUDES FREE REUSABLE PREMIUM APPLICATOR PAD - A little goes a long way. We supply you with our Premium Applicator Pad because we've found it to be the best applicator for leather goods, and it's reAmericable so it cuts down on environmental waste.
- Conditions and Protects Leathers
- Restores Dry, Cracked, and Scratched Leathers!
- Formulated with All Natural Ingredients
- Made with Triple Filtered Beeswax, Unique Blend of Seed Oils, and Naturally Occuring Lipids.
- Cobbler's Choice Brand
- Bring Leather Back To Life, Prolongs the Life of Leather. Softens Stiff Leather, Safe to Use on Glove Soft Leather, Furniture, Jackets, Car Seats, Purses, Shoes, Tack, Saddles, Baseball Gloves, Vinyl, Boats, RVs, and More
- Dermatologist Tested- Does Not Irritate Skin. No Harsh Chemicals. Made of 100% Cosmetic Ingredients. No Greasy Residue, Reduces Scuffs and Scratches. Removes Winter Salt-Stains
- Two Products in One Bottle- Saves Time and Money. Safe to use on Exotic Leathers Such as Alligator and Ostrich
- Leather Protector 8.45 oz - AND - Leather Cleaner 8.45 oz.
- Leather Protector Forms an invisible barrier that safeguards against premature aging and irreversible damage from penetrating stains - Ideal for use on finished, aniline and semi-aniline leather, as well as vinyl
- Improves stain and soil resistance for easier cleaning - Helps protect leather's original feel and color
- Leather Cleaner Cleans free of streaks and dust-attracting residue common with all-in-one cleaners - Maintains leather's intended sheen free from artificial gloss
- Leather cleaning at its best -pH balanced and alkaline-free to preserve leather's soft, supple feel - Ideal for use on finished, aniline, and semi-aniline leather, as well as vinyl - Not intended for use on suede and nubuck
Last update on 2019-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2019-10-18 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API