March 25, 2021 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 21V213000
A loss of power steering, particularly at lower speeds increases the risk of a crash.
NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V213
Manufacturer General Motors, LLC
Potential Number of Units Affected 60,678
General Motors, LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles. The power steering assist may be lost due to a poor electrical connection within the steering gear assembly.
GM will notify owners, and dealers will replace steering gear torque sensor cover assembly, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin May 10, 2021. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020, and GMC customer service at 1-800-462-8782. GM’s number for this recall is N202325410.
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Safety Recall N202325410 Loss of Power Steering Assist
These questions and answers are being provided to help GM dealers respond to inquiries from involved vehicle owners about the Safety recall identified above.
|Q1)||Which vehicles are involved?|
|A1)||Certain 2015 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles.
|Q2)||What is the issue or condition?|
|A2)||These vehicles may experience loss of power steering assist at startup or while driving due to the potential for a poor electrical connection within the steering gear assembly. A poor electrical connection in the affected steering gear assemblies may be caused by corrosion of certain connectors within the assemblies, or by damage to these connectors that occurred during the supplier’s manufacturing process.
|Q3)||What symptoms may be experienced? What warning signs may be associated with the issue or condition described?|
|A3)||If loss of connection occurs, power steering assist is lost (i.e., the vehicle reverts to manual steer), a malfunction indicator light displays on the instrument panel and a chime sounds to inform the driver.
|Q4)||What is the remedy/repair?|
|A4)||Dealers will replace steering gear torque sensor cover assembly.
|Q5)||What is the safety risk? Is the vehicle safe to drive?|
|A5)||If power steering assist is lost, steering control can still be maintained but would require an increased steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, increasing the risk of a crash.
|Q6)||Does the customer have to pay for this remedy/repair?|
|A6)||No, this inspection/repair will be done at no cost to the customer.
|Q7)||Is the remedy/repair available now?|
|A7)||No, when a remedy is available and/or sufficient quantity of parts are available, the recall bulletin will be released, and dealers can begin repairing vehicles.
|Q8)||What should customers do until recall repairs can be completed? Are there any special instructions?|
|A8)||If special instructions are provided, they will be included in the notification letters to customers.
|Q9)||How can customers check to see if their vehicle is involved in this field action?|
|A9)||Customers who own a vehicle involved in the field action will be notified by mail by General Motors, but they may also check their Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) for field actions in GM Owner Center at https://my.gm.com/recalls or via NHTSA’s website at https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/.
|Q10)||If customers are concerned, can they get a rental car or courtesy transportation?|
|A10)||Courtesy transportation is available for customers whose vehicles are involved in this recall and are within the warranty coverage period for the warranty which is associated with this recall. Please refer to Warranty Administration Bulletin #17-NA-073: Field Action Courtesy Transportation Policy for further information.
March 25, 2021
Chronology of Defect / Noncompliance Determination
573.6 (c) (6) (7)
Describe the chronology of events leading up to the defect decision or test data for the noncompliance decision:
On December 9, 2020, a report was entered into GM’s Speak Up For Safety (SUFS) program following a review by GM with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) of elevated complaints of power steering loss on certain 2015 Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles that were outside the scope of a previous GM recall for loss of power steering assist (Ref. NHTSA Recall No. 16V054). GM opened an investigation on December 10, 2020.
Recall No. 16V054, which was issued on January 27, 2016, addressed loss of power steering assist occurring due to a supplier manufacturing issue that caused damage to certain electrical connectors in the affected vehicles’ steering gear assemblies. The recall population in that case was determined using supplier and GM production records indicating which build dates may have been affected. In connection with the subject investigation, GM reviewed warranty and customer-pay field data as well as reports received by NHTSA and Transport Canada, and field returned parts. The investigation determined that steering gears with similarly damaged connectors may have been installed in vehicles on manufacturing days other than the recalled build dates. A clean breakpoint was established for all vehicles built after May 22, 2015, which were equipped with steering gear assemblies manufactured by the supplier after implementing additional process controls.
In addition to the connector damage issue, GM’s investigation determined that corrosion on these connectors may be contributing to the condition. For steering gear assemblies manufactured on or before March 14, 2015, the connectors were tin plated and did not have an anti-corrosion coating applied to them. After March 14, 2015, the connectors were improved (either coated with an anticorrosion gel or gold plated), which corrected the corrosion condition. All vehicles built after May 22, 2015 were equipped with the improved connectors.
On March 18, 2021, after reviewing the results of the investigation, GM’s Safety and Field Action Decision Authority decided to conduct a safety recall to replace the affected steering gear subassembly on vehicles built on or before the May 22, 2015 breakpoint. This recall does not include vehicles which had previously been repaired under Recall No. 16V504, as part of GM’s warranty repair processes, or certain vehicles built in October 2014 that were already repaired under a prior GM Customer Satisfaction Program, No. 18027.
GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS
URGENT – DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY
Date: March 25, 2021
Subject: Upcoming Safety Recall N202325410
Loss of Power Steering Assist
Models: 2015 Chevrolet Colorado
2015 GMC Canyon
To: All General Motors Dealers
General Motors has notified the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about an upcoming safety recall that involves 2015 model year Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon vehicles. The GM recall number is N202325410.
It is a violation of federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor vehicle or any new or used item of motor vehicle equipment (including a tire) covered by this notification until the defect is remedied.
These vehicles may experience loss of power steering assist at startup or while driving due to the potential for a poor electrical connection within the steering gear assembly. A poor electrical connection in the affected steering gear assemblies may be caused by corrosion of certain connectors within the assemblies, or by damage to these connectors that occurred during the supplier’s manufacturing process. If loss of connection occurs, power steering assist is lost (i.e., the vehicle reverts to manual steer), a malfunction indicator light displays on the instrument panel and a chime sounds to inform the driver. If power steering assist is lost, steering control can still be maintained but would require an increased steering effort, particularly at lower speeds, increasing the risk of a crash.
Parts are not currently available, but when parts are available, dealers are to replace steering gear torque sensor cover assembly.
Until further instructions are received, involved vehicles that are in dealers’ possession (new or used vehicle inventory, GM Certified Used, courtesy transportation vehicles, dealer shuttle vehicles, etc.) must be held and not delivered to customers, dealer-traded, released to auction, used for demonstration purposes or any other dealer use. All GM Certified Used vehicles currently in the dealers’ inventory within the Certified Pre-Owned Inventory System (CPOIS) will be de-certified.
The Investigate Vehicle History (IVH) screen in the Global Warranty Management (GWM) system will be updated for this upcoming recall on March 25, 2021. This action has been taken to assist dealers with determining which vehicles are involved so they can properly respond to customer inquiries.
Question and Answer Document (Q&A)
Attached to this message you will find a document that addresses the ten most likely questions customers may have regarding this Safety Recall. Please use this information as an aid to confidently answer customer concerns.
Dealers will be advised when the recall bulletin is released. Until the recall bulletin is released, the IVH screen in GWM will display “N/A” under Release Date and “Incomplete – Remedy not yet available” under Status. This means the required repair is not yet available and dealers should not attempt to perform any repairs.
END OF MESSAGE
GLOBAL SAFETY FIELD INVESTIGATIONS
2 Affected Products
5 Associated Documents
Defect Notice 573 Report
Miscellaneous Document – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Safety Recall N202325410 Loss of Power Steering Assist
Miscellaneous Document – Chronology of Defect/Noncompliance Determination
Miscellaneous Document – Dealer Message re Upcoming Safety Recall N202325410 Loss of Power Steering Assist
Latest Recalls Documents
For the most up to date documents from NHTSA for this Recall, click the lick above
- 📀【ABS&SAS&SRS SCANNER】FOXWELL NT630 Plus ABS & Airbag OBD2 scanner does not only provides accurate and professional diagnosis of ABS/SRS/SAS faults , but also removes air from the internal brake fluid chambers after servicing the brakes. 👉TIPS: It can not remove airbag crash data or collision data.
- 📀【ABS BLEEDING SCAN TOOL】Anytime the brake system is opened to replace components such as calipers, wheel cylinders, the master cylinder, or brake lines or hoses, air gets inside. The air has to be removed by bleeding the brakes if you want a firm brake pedal. You can use this diagnostic scanner to help bleed the brake, cycling the pump and valves during the bleeding process.
- 📀【ACTIVE TEST】The OBD scan tool temporarily allow you to active or control ABS/Airbag system and component, including switches, sensors, relays& actuators. It saving your time and labor costs.
- 📀【PERFECT COMPATIBILITY】The diagnostic scanner for automobiles is compatible with almost all OBDII cars, SUVs, minivans, light-duty trucks sold worldwide, Which makes it suitable for both mechanic and DIYers. ABS and SRS Coverage for 60+ Vehicle Makes. SAS calibration is on 30+ selected make.
- 📀【UPGRADE AND NO WORRIES】The update tool FoxAssist allows you update& uninstall software, save & print data, gaining more available vehicle models and language on the original basis free lifetime. And there is a technical assistance for timely and effectively solving the quality problem within 24 Hours.
- MAINTAIN PEAK PERFORMANCE AND SAFETY ON THE ROAD - The 5030 OBD2 Scanner helps you easily find the problem and fix the problem. The 5030 code reader gives you access to Innova’s best-in-class database. Access one of the largest correlated, cloud-based automotive diagnostic databases connecting you to a collection of verified fixes from ASE Master Technicians
- PREMIUM OBD2 CODE READER WITH ENHANCED COVERAGE AND FUNCTIONALITY - Innova’s 5030 OBD2 scanner empowers home mechanics, automotive enthusiasts, and service & repair technicians with professional-level functionality. It is a vehicle code reader that reads and clears OBD trouble codes and resets check engine light. This Innova scan tool supports English, Spanish, and French
- EASY TO READ SCREEN DISPLAYS CODE SEVERITY - The Innova 5030 OBD2 scan tool doesn’t just show you the Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC), it also displays the severity of the problem so you can make an informed decision on when you need to make the repairs
- EASY SELF-DIAGNOSIS OF EMISSION STATUS AND OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION - Know your smog check results before your state does. This car check engine light reader determines whether you’ll pass a state vehicle smog test. This engine reader includes functions for ABS (Brake), SRS (Airbag and Seatbelt) to make sure you’re always driving safely
- BUY WITH CONFIDENCE WITH USA DESIGNED AND SUPPORTED PRODUCTS - Our California-based, ASE-Certified Customer Support Team is glad to assist you as you navigate through this product. It's a perfect diagnostic car scanner for all cars compatible, use it on any foreign or domestic 1996 or newer OBD2 car, light truck, SUV, or hybrid vehicle. Questions? We’re here to assist you
- 🚩2021 New Elite Version🚩Same Function As LAUNCH CRP123E 🚩Lifetime Free Update🚩5 YEARs Warranty 🚩Conact seller to get Free Gift 🚩Fast delivery by Amazon
- 🎁【Great Gift Idea For Every Car Owner】: Prefect choice for your father, husband, brother or boyfriend. EVERY CAR OWNER WILL NEED IT! It comes with high-quality host with a strong box. Get LAUNCH CRP123 Elite car diagnostic scanner and give your lover a surprise!
- 🚗【 Read & Clear/Reset Engine/ABS/SRS/Transmission Diagnostic Scan Tool 】LAUNCH CRP123 OBD2 Scanner can test Engine, Transmission, ABS and Airbag four systems, also reads and resets code, displays data stream graphic, stores and playbacks dynamic data stream,helps to quick analysis and diagnosis.
- 🚗【 Error Fault Code Reader 】Except the full 10 modes OBD2 diagnostic functions like, retrieving I/M readiness, Freeze Frame Data, Read Dynamic Data stream and Vehicle Information, O2 Sensor Test, EVAP Test of Fuel Tank System (Mode 8) and Advanced On-board Monitoring (Mode 6), launch crp123 obd2 scanner can not only reveal what error codes your car is producing, but also erase your vehicle’s check engine light after problem fixed, the DTC help and explanation also tell you the exact problem.
- 🚗【 Live Data Graphing + Read/Record/Playback Data stream + Print diagnostic data 】※Live Data Graphing ,more intuitive to know your vehicle’s problem . ※ Large size Color Screen ;※ Print Function:Print the diagnose result easily; ※ with user manual and register & update tutorial video uploaded in the link by us, you can Look up it anytime by ONE-CLICK.
- 【UPGRADED VERSION OF VII+/CRP123X&CRP129】: This scan tool is built with a larger 5” touchable HD 720P screen and keypad design for better operation,there are 5 more reset services (Oil/EPB/SAS/TPMS & Throttle Body Reset) compared with VII+&CRP123X, AutoVIN and automatic printable Inspection report help you get diagnostic information efficiently and effectively
- 【FOUR SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS+ BATTERY VOLTAGE TEST】: This diagnostic obd2 scanner works for Engine, Transmission, ABS and SRS diagnoses, thus reading/clearing diagnostic trouble codes, showing live data stream, turning off the warning light related, besides,with the battery voltage test, you are able to monitor the battery voltage timely
- 【5 RESET SERVICES + AUTOMATIC AUTOVIN SCAN】: This code reader covers 5 most commonly used special reset functions including OIL/EPB/SAS/TPMS reset, and Throttle Adaptation to maintain your vehicle systems safely and efficiently, with the Automatic Autovin Scan, you may easily get the VIN
- 【FULL OBD2 COMPLIANCY + DATA RECORD & PLAYBACK】: This diagnostic tool supports all 10 modes of OBDII functions such as I/M Readiness Status, Live Data Graphing, MIL turn-off, etc., and works on most vehicles after 1996 compliant with OBD2 protocols , more than 57 brands. Data record,playback and printable Inspection report (share via email) make diagnostic information easily at your hands
- 【Mechanics with 40 years of experience Highly Recommended 】: This diagnostic automotive scanner perfectly fits for mechanics, work shop or individual users, it comes with the 5 years warranty for any quality problem. One-click WiFi free updates on internet for lifetime along with multilingual support: English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, Russian, Portuguese, Japanese, Korean, etc.,
- [ENHANCED 4 SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS] - Not only diagnose the engine system but also performs full detection on vehicle's other 3 main ECU systems (Transmission, ABS, Airbag(SRS)). Reads & erases fault codes, turns off warning lights, and reads live PCM datastream on these 4 systems.
- [FULL OBDII DIAGNOSIS] - Read/clear error codes, DTC look-up, do smog tests including I/M readiness, O2 sensor test, etc. will keep your mind from worrying about whether the data about emission exceeds the standard values. It also reads freeze frame data, does EVAP system test, retrieves vehicle info, and more.
- [ADVANCED DATASTREAM GRAPH] - Reads and displays live data stream in one graph for the 4 systems (Engine, AT, ABS, SRS), allows you to add 4 parameters in the meantime to show the live data, which is intended to help you quickly find potential problems of the vehicle.
- [WIDE VEHICLE COVERAGE] - Compatible with over 46 vehicle makers for a complete car diagnosis. Works on most from 1996 US-based, 2002 EU-based, 2005 Asian-based or newer OBD II & CAN domestic or import vehicles. Supports English, French, Spanish, German, Russian, Italian, Polish, and Portuguese.
- [USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN] - Equipped with an intuitive interface, 4-inch TFT color backlit large screen, 2 cutouts in the back for holding easily, strong rugged anti-slip rubber housing. Supports lifetime free update and print online via an update software tool downloaded from ANCEL website.
- Read and clear your Check Engine Light and all other vehicle systems. Get your unlimited free vehicle specific Repair Reports, generated from our database of millions of fixes verified by Professional Automotive Technicians
- As easy to use as a code reader with all the capabilities of an expensive handheld scan tool, plus the benefits of your smartphone or tablet (free app updates, portability, saving data, interactive graphing of live data)
- Officially licensed and certified for Apple and Android devices
- The BlueDriver App and BlueDriver Sensor work exclusively with each other to ensure quality
- BlueDriver is the Professional OBD2 Diagnostic Scan Tool trusted by mechanics and developed by Professional Engineers in North America
- The VD500 OBD2 scanner is specially designed for diagnosing most 12V 16-Pin Volkswagen/Audi/Skoda/SEAT V/A Series vehicles, but it also has the ability to work on 12V cars and light trucks (non-electric) manufactured in 1996 or later that are OBD II-compliant with 16-Pin OBD II protocols (J1850 VPM, J1850PWM, ISO9141, KWP 2000 and CAN).
- For Volkswagen (VAG) vehicles diagnosis, the device can not only read and erase codes on engine, ABS, Transmission, SAS (not all cars), ESP, TPMS and other systems, but also reset the oil, brake pad and throttle position adaption.
- For other OBD II vehicles, VD500 is capable of reading/erasing, show error code definitions, turning off the MIL (check engine light) and retrieving VIN information.
- VD500’s diagnostic range for Volkswagen vehicles covers the following vehicles: VW (CC, EOS, Golf, GTI, Jetta, Passat, Phaeton, Polo, Rabbit, Sharan, Tiguan, Touran, Touareg); Audi (A3, A4, A6, A7, A8, A5, Q3, Q5, Q7, R8, RS3, TT, RS, RS5, S4, S6); Skoda (Octavia, Rapid, Yeti, Kodiaq, Fabio, Superb); SEAT (Leon, Ateca, Ibize, Altea, Cushion, Cord, Alhambra) diagnosis.
- With English and German as the two display languages, this diagnostic tool provides life-time free software updates to fix the latest bugs or add new parameters. Just download the software from the official website, then follow on-screen instructions to install.
- 😀【Limited Time Off】Get a 6100P and Case, you will save 40% OFF on the PROTECTIVE HARD CASE.
- 😀【Check Engine Light】The obd2 scanner 6100P shows fault codes with DTC Severity and quickly reveals the cause of "Check Engine" light warnings(MIL). One-press hot key to turn off check engine light after vehicle maintenance. Live data displays plenty of vehicle data present, such as engine coolant temperature, fuel injector pulse width(fuel trim), RPM, spark timing, etc.
- 😀【ABS & SRS】In addition to emission-related OBD II codes, the srs abs obd2 scanner works well on reading/erasing ABS and SRS codes for popular US Car Makes such as Ford, Chevy, Dodge, GM, etc. when the Traction light is constantly on. The ability to really detect where the problem is concerning brakes and airbags enables you to make sure all safety measures in place before putting yourself in harm's way.
- 😀【Oil Light Reset+Oil Level/Oil Life】The Oil Reset feature provides step-by-step reset procedures after an oil change for most 1996 and newer OBD2 vehicles. The free stepwise guide which 6100P scan tool provides as regards oil change reset and drive cycle procedures may be a major relieve for beginners. This abs srs code reader can also monitor your oil level and its service life.
- 😀【Battery & Alternator Test】The Innova code reader can be used to check the performance of the battery or alternator for your hybrid, car, SUV, minivan, or light truck diesel as well. During rough winters and scorching summers, this diagnostic tool will be invaluable when trying to root out start-up issues. (Please note currently the package does NOT include a pouch. )
- 👍【ABS SRS SYSTEMS DIAGNOSIS】Autel AutoLink AL619 car diagnostics tool can diagnose ABS and SRS(Airbag) systems on sedans and light trucks. It can read and clear DTCs, show definitions of each code, display live data of multiple sensors in graph to locate fault causes and assist home mechanics to do the proper repair and clear ABS & Airbag warning lights. NOTE: ABS SRS Scan does NOT work on vehicles after 2015. Please send VIN number to 🚘[email protected] outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【ALL 10 MODES OF OBD2 TESTS & MORE】The AL619 OBD2 scanner can access Powertrain Control Module and perform ALL 10 modes of OBD2 tests on vehicles to check emission related conditions, including: Read & Clear Codes, View Freeze Frame data, I/M Readiness Status(Smog Check), live PID data stream of multiple sensors in graph, O2 Sensor Tests, On-Board Monitor Tests, Components Tests, Module Present, Retrieve Vehicle Information(VIN, CIN and CVN) and DTC Lookup.
- 👍【GENERIC, MANUFACTURER SPECIFIC & PENDING CODES】 Autel AutoLink AL619 car diagnostic code reader retrieves generic (P0, P2, P3 and U0), manufacturer specific (P1, P3 and U1) codes and pending codes. For manufacturer specific or enhanced codes, you need to select a vehicle make on an additional screen to look for DTC definitions.
- 👍【UNMATCHED VEHICLE COMPATIBILITY】 AL619 car diagnostic scanner supports all OBD2 protocols: KWP2000, ISO2000, ISO9141, J1850 VPW, J1850 PWM and CAN and is compatible with all OBD2/CAN compliant vehicles(sedans, SUVs and light trucks) post 1996 in US, post 2000 for EU-based and Asian cars. NOTE: ABS SRS(Airbag) diagnostics is NOT universally compatible to all vehicles. Please send VIN number to 🚘[email protected] outlook.com🚘 to check compatibility.
- 👍【RISK-FREE PURCHASE AND HASSLE FREE SERVICES】 The AL619 auto diagnostic scanner comes with lifetime FREE software updates. Autel Autolink AL619 car scan tool is backed by 30 Days REPLACEMENT or FULL REFUND, 12 Months free from defects after-sales services. If there are any questions or concerns, please contact us directly via 🚘[email protected] outlook.com🚘.
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- English (Subtitle)
Last update on 2021-04-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Last update on 2021-04-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API